Thursday, September 11, 2008

Now striving for technology literacy...

Well, it is 2:30 in the morning and I just finished reading the fischbowl blog and ALL of the comments. I just could not stop reading them. It was so interesting and I knew I would not be satisfied until I read every one of them. Needless to say, I am very tired at this point. The original blog about teacher illiteracy was so eye opening for me. I love how he cares so much more about the well-fair of his students than if the subject he teaches is being bashed. His focus throughtout ALL of this blog is his students and what we as educators can do to help them. We have the capablility to hold their social and economical mobility in our hands. We have no right to sit back and stick with our "old" ways. The truth is, technology is in almost every single aspect of our everyday lives, therefore, it is in every aspect of our students' lives as well. All teachers need to jump on the technology train.
Before entering EDM310 I would have definately considered myself technologically literate. I mean just like in the post, I know how to produce spreadsheets and do power points. Had I ever posted a blog? No! Had I ever listened to a Podcast? No! I did not even know that classrooms used blogs. I realize how inadequate my knowledge of technology is and what it has to offer me and my students. Even though I do not know them yet, I do want the best for my students. I want to offer them the best opportunities possible. Therefore, I am committed to taking time to learn more and grow in my technological skills. Unlike the teachers discussed in the blog, I am not intimidated. If I fail, I will try again and again until I get it.
I love that in the post it is mentioned about students helping teach the teachers. I LOVE THIS! I feel like this allows them to see that we, teachers, are real. That we are not perfect, we do not have it all together, and that we WILL fail. Showing them this side of us, allows them to be more vulnerable with us. Allowing us to help mold and impact their lives. It is great that technology can open up so many doors for student and teacher relationships. My future classroom has amazing potential and I do not want to hold them back from anything, because I did not take the time to learn about technology. So, here I go into preperation for the future! :)

No comments: